View Single Post
Old
12-26-2012, 06:50 PM
ottawah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
The reasoning behind keeping Monahan is because there's a good chance he's in the OHL next year. You don't go out and deal somebody like that because unless you're getting a top 96 or a very good 95 there's very little a team could give to satisfy that deal. A team can throw in 2nd rounders but unless you get 5 or 6 of them you will never get the caliber of player like Monahan in the OHL draft with 2nd round picks.
Another point perhaps worth making is that due to the arena situation in Ottawa, keeping a high profile name for next year may be a big asset. Due to playing in the west end of the city as their new arena is being built, the crowds are not coming from such a wide geographical area as before, and without a winning team, they need something to sell tickets.

Monahan would have far more trade value next year, and that would be grabbing assets for the year they move into the new arena, which they want to do with a bang.

That is all predicated on Monahan not being in the NHL next year, and I really think its a long shot at best at the moment. I still believe he will be drafted 6-9, and thats a tough sell to go to the NHL based on past history. I know someone mentioned Couterier, but Couterier had accomplished a far bit more at this point in his career than Monahan.

I'll still stand by my odds. 100% Graovac traded, 50% on Ceci, and 10% on Monahan.