View Single Post
Old
12-26-2012, 10:25 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
This is my concern aswell. I'm sure marlies games get more viewers across canada then bingo games....but i doubt marlies games get more viewers in the ottawa area then bingo games. So why not acquire the feed(without sending a crew) and just broadcast the american feed fairly cheaply? I don't see why they don't do that. If regionally we got bingo games, you could double, if not triple the ottawa area viewers while not affecting other areas viewers.
Because even if more Ottawa viewers watched Bingo games than Marlies game (which I agree would probably happen), the issue isn't whether Bingo would out-draw the Marlies, it's whether enough people in Ottawa would tune in to B-Sens games to offset the cost of purchasing the rights to the games themselves. There's no guarantee that it's financially feasible for them.

It costs NOTHING for Sportsnet to show Marlies games in Ottawa, because they've already recovered their initial costs by showing them in the larger Toronto market.

Also: unfortunately, it seems as though Ottawa valley is still like 1/4 Leafs fans, at minimum. So Marlies games already, for argument's sake, get 1/4 of the AHL-watching demographic in Ottawa. Would the cost of purchasing the AHL Bingo broadcast rights be worth it to increase their Ottawa-Valley viewership by 50%?

Also: what is the quality of the Binghamton broadcasts? I've only ever seen the streamed online, which isn't a good way for me to analyze their regular quality, so I can't say for sure. If the standard Bingo broadcasts are not up to Sportsnet's minimum quality requirements, then that's also an issue.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote