View Single Post
Old
12-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The Pens giving up anything of great value for Gonchar is silly. The highest pick I'd give up is a 4th, and I think even that is too much. Pens would be dealing from a position of great strength as Pittsburgh is where Gonchar wants to be, and Ottawa is going to lose him for nothing anyways.

Not seeing how this scenario is any different than the Kovalev deal, aside from the fact that Ottawa really needs a defenseman.

Trading either guy for Sarge is bad asset management, IMO.

Letang, Martin, Niskanen, Orpik, Bortuzzo, Strait, Engelland should be the 7. Not seeing why the Pens should really trade for the guy at this point, as it makes more sense to play Strait and Bortuzzo, and then maybe flip them after they prove themselves a little more, which I think they undoubtedly will.
Ah there's the rub!

You make it sound trivial, but that one fact is what makes a world of difference.

We traded Kovalev to you for a 7th because we were out of the playoffs and there was no point in keeping Kovy.

If Ottawa had a plethora of defence and were trying to make room for players while playing Gonchar base minutes just using him for PP then that would be one thing. He eats up a lot of minutes, adds leadership and more.

Karlsson has learned from Gonchar, as has Cowen. You could see it when they played. If Cowen made an error, Gonchar was there to encourage him and help guide him.

We are not (well most of us) overvaluing Gonchar. It is simple, we have a hole, trading Gonchar makes that hole bigger. The trade reward would have to be worth it for Ottawa to take the risk.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote