View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 01:58 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
My standards may be high, but I certainly am not expecting exceptional play out of him. That would be unreasonable out of most prospects.

He simply needs to be better.
See this is where I feel a lot of people are irrational and unreasonable. All you have said this entire thread is he simply just needs to be better, without even adding input as to what areas he could be..

From the 5 or 6 games I got to catch of Zibanejad early this year I thought he was one of the stand outs easily on a terrible team (early on). He performed well defensively anticipating the play and picking off passes on numerous occasions. He drives to the net like a power forward and does it often. He needs to add muscle to his frame to be more effective at it, but he does it which is great. He performed better offensively than his stats give him credit for, often being a threat when he stepped onto the ice. He hit a few posts which would have padded his stats a little bit more had they bounced the right way. He has excellent hands and pulled off some stellar dangles. From what I saw, everything is there.

In my opinion the only thing holding him back is his size/strength and his adjusting to the North American ice. Both of which will come in time. Silfverberg had a slow start, which was expected as he adjusted to North American ice. Zibanejad was just starting to turn it on before he got "hurt." Unreasonable expectations for a 19 year old coming over from Sweden would be for him to dominate and shoot the lights out night after night. I've said this time and time again we should be reminded that Zibanejad was drafted as a RAW prospect and RAW prospects take time to develop. Expecting him to dominate right away as a 19 year old is completely ridiculous. He has the tools. He's played great. Relax and let the kid develop into his full potential. He needs to add size to his frame which takes time.. once he does that, then we can sit and judge and label what we must.