View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I envision my ankles in line with my legs. When I stop, it's like I'm pushing against the ice like a squat, bend my knees (and ankles forward) to sit into the stop, then "jump" against the ice out to move the other direction (or just stand up if I don't need to move).

See this picture, the two skates are roughly the same angle. You are on your outside edge of your inside foot and inside edge of the outside foot:

When you are stopping, the whole body is (roughly) in line and leaning at the same angle. Ankles are in line with the shins which are in line with the thighs which are close to in line with the torso:

There's obviously exceptions especially when puck handling but that's how I would learn to keep it simple.

One idea I have is to stand on one leg and try to balance as long as possible, then switch. It's easier if you push against the ice than try to balance on top of it. If your ankle is wobbly, it's got to be a bad fit on the skate. You should be pushing flat against the boot with the heels, toes, outside, and inside of the foot.

Actually, try standing on one leg just in bare feet or shoes. It's easier to keep the foot flat on the ground than to try and balance on either the outside or inside of the foot. More stability. Same thing when skating.

Maybe that's where the arch support comes in, to make sure you are able to push against the whole boot rather than just pushing with the outside or inside of the skate.

And when you're standing on one foot, notice how much easier it is when you put your weight centered over the foot rather than off to one side or the other.

I dunno, just some ideas to try to help with the edges.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote