View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Those teams don't make profit, iirc. They have oil money, lots of it. Tickets are very cheap. Owners are willing to absorb losses, though.

I think they would also have to have lots of Russians in the team there to makei it work. Maybe.

In Finland and Sweden.. basically no chance.

And I see no need/use to expand to Europe for just one or two teams.
I agree with most of what you're saying here.

However, the Stockholm metro area, which wikipedia claims to have 22% of the Swedish population, has a population of 2,119,760; which puts them above speculated markets like Kansas City and Las Vegas and at least seven existing NHL markets (San Jose, Columbus, Nashville, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, and Buffalo)

There is also a significant issue of what to do with teams already in the area and what the backlash of that will be.

Moscow and Stockholm could support NHL teams. The questions are would they, and should they?

edit:

k, looks like the NHL has died on their hill of 5-year contract limits. 6-years now.

Quote:
According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the NHL adjusted its maximum contract length from five to six years (seven years if a team is re-signing its own player) and boosted the variance from five to 10 per cent.
+ one compliance buyout that would not count towards the cap, but the players' share.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412368

I'm going to do something about the lockout. Each day, retroactive to September 15th, I will gain 1 pound a day until the lockout is over. Take that, Gary.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 12-28-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote