View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 03:06 PM
kirby11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
I might be another in the minority that just doesn't see Gilmore as being very good this season. I don't have the numbers, times thrown at (and when you can be throwing at Williams or McKelvin, why wouldn't you) vs catches vs defense. Still I recall more than a handful of plays where Gilmore's guy has been open by 4 or 5 YARDS. A lot more where Gilmore is in the vicinity, but the catch is made.

He's a good tackler after the reception but the definition of "shutdown" means the guy doesn't get the ball to begin with.
Some of that's because wannstedt is an idiot and sometimes has gilmore playing way off the receiver (like 5+ yards behind the line of scrimmage) so he doesn't get beat deep. that's basically giving the offense a free 5-7 yard gain on a slant. And yes, i agree, there have been times when gilmore's been less than effective. but for a rookie corner having to take on the top wideouts since day 1, i've been happy with how he's played. He did have a pick 6 called back one game because of a penalty IIRc