View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 08:09 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
I find it interesting that Ville Järveläinen made the team. I am sure he is deserving, but he was supposed to play NCAA hockey for St. Cloud State until the Huskies asked him to spend an extra season in the USHL. Obviously, he didn't want to do that and went back home to Finland.

Fortunately, St. Cloud State then picked up Kalle Kossila and he has been VERY good this year. Do any of the Finnish fans wish that Kossila had been added to the WJC roster instead of Järveläinen or some other player?
Järveläinen was bit of a surprise pick, yes, but in the end we can all see what bought him a ticket. Despite his size, he was very good during the U20 games since summer, netting 5+1 in seven games played. Any player who finds a scoring streak like that is hard to overlook. He's also one of the best scorers in Mestis, FIN tier 2.

I can't say much about Kossila (and I predict the same will hold true to most other people here), given how I simply haven't seen him play enough. In fact, I think that presumption could be extended to the Finnish coaching as well. Was he good enough to at least deserve a camp invitation? Judging by the scouting reports I've read, yes, I think so. But I don't think it was going to make much difference in the end.

It was known from the boot that this team would be deep if everyone was healthy. Just look at some of the names that got cut. It was definitely not like, say 2011 when were really hurting for skilled forwards (even more so with Mi.Granlund out with an injury) and actually ended up having a NCAA player, Erik Haula, as the first line C.

Given how Kossila couldn't come across and play in the earlier tournaments, the coaching would have had to see if he was good enough over the camp and the two exhibition games - to vie for a spot in top-six or its fringes which was loaded with hefty candidates as it was. To be honest, I don't think it would have been enough time for the Finnish management to decide whether they should favor him over a more established name.

It is a strange feeling as a Finn, actually debating over players who got cut. Our teams have lately consisted mostly of trusty workhorses who excel via solid and unyielding teamplay rather than pure skill. And yes, if we actually had some of those grinder types such as Nykopp, Salminen, Hännikäinen slotted for the top lines in the absence of better players, then overlooking Kossila might have been more of an offense. But when you've got Teräväinen, Armia, Barkov, Granlund... I don't think most Finn fans following these games will be busy wondering where is this Kossila guy.

Last edited by FiLe: 12-27-2012 at 08:15 PM.
FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote