View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I guess I just don't see much of a reason to expect him to bounce back. He turns 31 in a couple months, super severe concussions (like the one Lombardi suffered) are career changers for lots of players, and he really showed no improvement/progress throughout the course of last season. He was a shadow of his former self last year, he could bounce back a fair bit and still not be good enough to make our team, he'd have to bounce back all the way to his prime to be much of an asset. That seems very unlikely to me.

You mentioned Lombardi being a great fit on the 3rd line, if he can get his game back. I'd say we have 7 forwards who are very clearly going to be on the top 3 lines (Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Grabo, JVR, Kulemin and MacArthur). That leaves 2 spots left on the 3rd line. Battling for those 2 spots are Frattin, Kadri, Connolly and McClement. Lombardi would have to be better than at least 3 of those guys to have a spot on the 3rd line. In reality I don't think he's better than any of them, even if he's playing quite a bit better than he was last year.
That's how I feel as well. When you start doing the players math, Lombardi seems to only make the team if there are major injury troubles. Even then I would prefer to call up a prospect or something. Give McKegg a couple games or something like that.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote