View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
I never said you compared him to Neal, I was doing that comparison because everyone thinks Neal is so good right now.

Oh no, I used facts and statistics, I guess that means I'm wrong. At least defend Fleury a little bit. You saying "I'm not even going to bother with this one" just shows that you can't refute it.

I would put Gardiner as a number 2 or 3 D right now. Yeah, it would probably hurt in the short run, but in the long run, it would save us a bunch of money that we would have spent on Letang and would help us when the likes of Dumoulin/Maatta/Despres get up here. Our D right now isn't the best, even with Letang. I'd rather have a younger D corpse in the future than have Letang right now, mainly because we won't be winning the cup now, but we may in a few years.
I can refute this very easily. First off, stats are just a small part of determining the quality of the goalie. The stats you refer to are not equal in any way due to the fact that they play on different teams, in different systems, with different things being asked of them. Fleury sees less shots than most goalies, but the quality shots he faces are usually higher than most teams because when the Pens D breaks down, it really breaks down! For this reason, it is much harder to have a high save percentage. Take a team like NY or PHX who gives up a bunch of shots, but from the perimeter, and their goalies have a better chance of putting up better stats.

Second, I think if you questioned the 30 NHL GMs if they would give up Fleury to get Reimer straight up, they would probably ask you how much you smoked before you thought it was a good idea.

That is sufficient to refute your claim.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote