View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Dynamo81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Eliminating the bye means the tournament result is more meaningless. Sure, more games, but having a terrible game in the QFs can mean that a top-ranked team is eliminated for having a single bad game.

For example, the World Championships are like this. Canada emerges as the top seed during the preliminary round, outscoring most opponents by wide margins, and then has a bad game against Slovakia during the QFs. Boom. They're done.

Can anyone claim that Slovakia deserved to move on more than Canada? Maybe people don't really care, and want more unpredictability (which I admit is fun). But it also means that the results of the tournament aren't as meaningful since it is designed to increase the impact of random events.
Well the teams they outscored by wide margins were Kazakhstan, Belarus and France. I think Canada won 3-2 against Slovakia and Switzerland in group play in the same tournament Slovakia knocked them out?

So I guess you will argue the results of Olympics are not meaningful too because of random events?

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote