Thread: Speculation: More Luongo Talk
View Single Post
12-27-2012, 10:49 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
and these are Canuck fans who watch every minute of every game every season, and they're all telling you that goaltending wasnt the problem, it is an entire team not showing up and getting blown out. John Quick or Tim Thomas wouldnt have changed the outcome of those blowouts. The Canucks still would have lost. And no the team didnt no show DUE to soft goals against, the soft goals against were due to the now showing.
Luongo getting pulled twice in one series shows that the Canucks COACH saw a problem with the goaltending. Furthermore, in the NHL, an 8 goals-allowed can be and should be attributed to the goalie every time. If he's so elite, then I don't care if he has no defensemen at all, he shouldn't be getting lit up THAT hard. Maybe any other goalie wouldn't have changed a loss to a win, but I would think they could've made it less of a complete embarrassment. Even if not abysmal, Luongo had at the least a rather bad game in both games 3 and 4, and a case could be made for game 6 as well. He was not elite.

Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
I feel like you're being overly critical of a goaltender that has excelled and been elite at the NHL level for 10 years now.

The entire Canuck team imploded in the SCF. They were beaten to death and didn't have nearly close to the quality line-up they were so successful with. All teams deal with injuries and so did the Bruins; but it is indisputable that the Canucks suffered more, especially on their back-end.

Luongo played poorly in 3 games against the Bruins but his poor performances are overblown. The truth is the TEAM didn't show up and the TEAM's mistakes always tend to reflect on the goaltender.
I can accept that. It may have been lost in there somewhere, but my initial intent was to show that it's ludicrous to not attribute any of the Canucks' misfortunes to Luongo being, to some degree, rather inconsistent in the biggest hockey series there is (unless you want to say Olympics, but that's an entirely different argument).

Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
Maybe not 8 goals, but Thomas did let in 5 and then posted a shutout the next game and then let in 4 goals in the next (in TBL series). So is it his fault or the team's fault? Applying your logic, he is solely responsible and is inconsistent. Looks at the goals he let in against TBL:

Look, I'm not saying Luongo is without blame but it is a team game. They don't get "magical one-game hockey equipment to become MVP-worthy players", they simply have bad games as a TEAM.
I never said that he was solely responsible, just that it seems to make more sense to put the brunt of responsibility on him, as it makes more sense than blaming several other players simultaneously. See above. I can understand your points though.