View Single Post
Old
12-27-2012, 11:55 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Eliminating the bye means the tournament result is more meaningless. Sure, more games, but having a terrible game in the QFs can mean that a top-ranked team is eliminated for having a single bad game.

For example, the World Championships are like this. Canada emerges as the top seed during the preliminary round, outscoring most opponents by wide margins, and then has a bad game against Slovakia during the QFs. Boom. They're done.

Can anyone claim that Slovakia deserved to move on more than Canada? Maybe people don't really care, and want more unpredictability (which I admit is fun). But it also means that the results of the tournament aren't as meaningful since it is designed to increase the impact of random events.
Ever hear the saying "can't win 'em all"?

Gotta take the good with the bad

Besides If Canada becomes a bit too relaxed thinking the gold medal will be handed to them and underestimates the Slovaks they deserve to lose.

I'm not sure I agree with your comment of randomness of events since the deck is usually stacked heavily against the less elite countries but the slim chance is still there

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote