Old
12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
To each their own I guess.

I don't see them adding anything big, so I do realize they don't have a ton of assets to give. But they have an overage spot open, and I could see them grabbing a guy like Menard, Schoenmakers, Findlay, etc for a mid round pick/prospect. Traditionally, you can grab overagers for a pretty good bargain at the deadline.

I just don't see this team selling off it's assets. They currently hold home ice advantage in the first round and have a real chance to do some damage in the wide open Eastern Conference (even a team like Barrie has its holes). Let's be real, the NHL probably isn't going to return this year. Seems pretty unlikely at this point. Which leaves the Dogs with quite a solid roster.

The Dogs are in a tough position too, with Strome and Hamilton. If I'm an OHL team, I have zero interest in either of these two. You'd have to give up a ton of assets to get them, with no guarantee that they aren't gone to an NHL camp a few weeks after you acquire them. The same reason that Niagara might think about dealing them, is the very reason why most OHL teams probably have zero interest in them (save for a deal with serious future considerations clauses).

Just don't see it happening. I see the Dogs standing pat, save for the possible acquisition of an overager (on the cheap) to fill that last slot.

Just my two cents.
Consistent word out of Niagara is that the big named players are being shopped. The potential of an NHL return has nothing to do with why the Dogs are shopping these players. They simply don't have the depth.

From last year, they lost Agozzino, Friesen, Visentin, Oleksiak, F. Hamilton, Kuhnhackle, Pacan and Buekeboom.

Amongst their youth, while there have been some nice showings from Verhaeghe, Haydon and DiFruscia, it isn't consistent, and the team just lacks the depth to make a run for it. It's very much like the team from 2007 (Pietrangelo, Swift, Caputi, Legein, Corrente, Shiestle, Dahm) but weaker on D and in net (and slightly better up front)