View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 01:39 AM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Hey all,

Lost my eBay bid on the x60 so I'm trying a two piece combo.

I found an x60 shaft... What blade goes well here, and how do I put it together?

I could theoretically buy an apx blade and still come in under 200, but id like to save more in this case. Any tips would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If it's a retail X:60 shaft, you'd be putting tapered blades in there. That would include things like the Reebok 11K, Easton Mako/SE16, APX/X:60 like you said, Warrior Dolomite/Dynasty, CCM U+CS, CCM Vector or U+, Harrow 300 etc.

Clearance Warriors seem to be the cheapest option among higher end tapered blades, followed by the Dynasty and Harrow 300. I personally have a Dynasty blade in my Dolo shaft and like the feel, although it is admittedly softer than other top end blades I've tried (in one piece form), not as soft as a mid-end stick though.
As an avid shaft/blade user, I'll just add that for the best fit, it can be a good idea to stick with the same brand (i.e. pair a tapered Bauer shaft with a tapered Bauer blade). You certainly can mix and match, but sometimes the fit isn't perfect, and will require tape shims if the fit is loose, or even a bit of filing if the fit is too tight. If you stick with the same brand, then the fit is generally excellent. I find this to be especially true with tapered shaft/blades, the sizes seem a bit less uniform across brands than they are with standard shaft/blades.

If balance is important to you, you should definitely go for a high end blade, cheaper blades are heavy and will give your stick awful balance. Bauer X:60/Apx blades are super light, but can be a touch pricey. Agreed with AIREAYE about the Warrior Dynasty blades, they're pretty good, especially if you like a softer feel, but they aren't as light as an X60 blade. BASE make good tapered blades too (not a fan of their shafts or OPS sticks, but the blades are nice), lightweight and durable, and they're available in an extremely wide range of curves/lies as well.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote