View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 05:22 AM
nexttothemoon
10 again

vCash: 50
Yakupov is scoring at nearly a point a game pace as a rookie in the KHL... and he's doing that getting just over 14 minutes per game of ice time.

He's also 14th among forwards in the KHL in shots per game... a good indicator of his offensive potential... and again he's doing that playing much lower minutes than most of the other top offensive players in the KHL.

My understanding is that he's being coached to be more defensively aware.. which is why he isn't handed huge minutes on a plate right out of the gate. That's actually a good thing imo as he'll be expected to do the same at the NHL level as well.

I'm not worried about his offensive abilities... he has obvious talent and in these types of tournaments he's a key player that other teams focus on... which is likely why his offensive numbers aren't always huge. Not an excuse for his performances... just an observation. He could very well have a superb tournament here. It's likely just a matter of time before he breaks out.

I agree as well... the level of offensive depth he will add to the Oilers is invaluable. He just has to work on his defensive game so we don't have similar conversations to Omark... we certainly don't need that again.