View Single Post
Old
12-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Can't do that one..

We need Erskine's presence and toughness on defense alot more than we need additional offensive strenght. Actually, we even lack young quality defensemen, only Daley, Erskine, and Vagner have sure fine potential with Nickerson as a darkhorse. That won't cutt it with Zubov nearing his mid 30's and with 3 players facing UFA status, of which 2 probably won't be re-signed (Numminen and Klemm). Plus, Erskine is a regular already, consistantly improving his game and he's showing to be a real force as a future heavyweight. He's nearly 6'5, he's physical and is a feared fighter, all intangibles that we need with Hatcher gone.

Laraque on the other hand would be damned nice to have, but he's a rightwinger and he's not an upgrade over anyone of our current rightflank. That, and I say Downey is doing just fine, handling his own perfectly and being a well liked person within the group.

Laraque holds more value, but from a Stars POV, we wouldn't trade a young defenseman (our most lacking position) for an unnecessary forward.

Besides, with the hot rivalry the Stars and Oilers have, and with Laraque stating these things like:

I would hang up my skates if I were to be traded.

What makes you think Laraque would go, much less, give it all, to and for the team he hates the most? I rather not take that risk..