View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If Yakupov wasn't an Oiler. Say, if he was a Leaf or a Flame, there would be so much talk around here about how he has been so underwhelming and isn't living up to the hype but because he's an Oiler, it seems that a lot of you guys refuse to see that he is struggling out there. It's always the coaches fault or his linemates, it's never Yakupov's fault.
He hasn't been able to handle the puck at all, he's trying way too hard to skate through multiple defenders when he should be making the simple play, he's getting knocked off the puck way too easily, he cheats on defense an awful lot and he has been pouty on the bench when he should be pumping up his teammates.

Look, i've been a fan of Yakupov's from Day 1 and i still have no regrets about the Oilers picking him but i'm just calling a spade a spade. He has been subpar. I know that he blocked a shot on the PK and that's nice and all but it doesn't make up for the fact that he is clearly fighting it out there. I think a lot of it is due to him not dealing well with the pressure of being the captain. Hopefully, he picks up his game as the tournament progresses.
There is a difference between not living up to the hype and sucking.
He was not the only Russian who was not passing.. even that 'beauty goal' by that kid could have been considered selfish since he never used his teammates and tried to do it all himself.. Its how the Russians are playing.. There just is no cycle work ..
Yakupov has been underwhelming but isnt sucking. Also, giving him the C wasnt the best move. He is not the leader type and shouldve been just used as a sniper.
Ovechkin was a lock for 50goals and 100+ points before he was made the captain and thought he could be a leader instead of a scorer.