View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Qrispy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If Yakupov wasn't an Oiler. Say, if he was a Leaf or a Flame, there would be so much talk around here about how he has been so underwhelming and isn't living up to the hype but because he's an Oiler, it seems that a lot of you guys refuse to see that he is struggling out there. It's always the coaches fault or his linemates, it's never Yakupov's fault.

Look, i've been a fan of Yakupov's from Day 1 and i still have no regrets about the Oilers picking him but i'm just calling a spade a spade. He has been subpar. I know that he blocked a shot on the PK and that's nice and all but it doesn't make up for the fact that he is clearly fighting it out there. I think a lot of it is due to him not dealing well with the pressure of being the captain. Hopefully, he picks up his game as the tournament progresses.
It is the coaches "fault". That is the Russian system. A single player carries the puck into the O zone and tries to dangle or take a shot on net. It wasn't just Yakupov trying to do it alone. It was the same thing with every other Russian forward. Why do people not get that? They get high quality chances generated by individual plays. It works great for a power forward like Nichushkin but, for everyone else, not so much.

It's a tight defensive and low scoring system that Yakupov won't dominate in. It's a little disappointing seeing his talent wasted like that but we'll just have to deal with it for the time being.