View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well I think the concern is we already have a few players like that, though Cole and Gionta should be long gone or shells of themselves by the time Nichushkin comes over.

I get the concerns, we got disappointed once by a Eastern European with elite power forward potential who was never able to put it together in Andrei Kostitsyn, but Nichushkin already plays with more guile than AK did. There is a valid concern that he's under contract in Russia and doesn't seem to be in a rush to come over, but if you are drafting in the teens he's worth the risk IMO.

The Leafs are desperate for a center, I could see them going for Mackinnon or Barkov over Jones, also I could see the Flames going for Mackinnon because they are likely desperate for another great Canadian offensive player. Right now Jones has got to be favourite for #1 by a considerable margin though since the overwhelming majority of the league (including the Habs) would pick him ahead of the forwards at this point. He's by far the safest and has unlimited potential, even if I think his offense is somewhat exaggerated.
Jones is both a safe pick(he should play NHL in 13-14 and not look out of place) and has high upside(see Pronger at his best). MacKinnon is a safe pick(he will score goals in the NHL) but doesn't have the upside to be a #1 franchise center, more of a 30+ goal 1st line RW.