View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
WTF do I care about CORSI stats, seriously... I watch the games and go from there. You can have the best CORSI stat alive and still cause your team more harm then anything else.

This isn't a stat league or fantasy hockey, the game is played on the ice and Volchenkov is playing minimal minutes while earning a heavy paycheck and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

Is there a stat for average icetime Vs your paycheck? I'd bet Volchenkov would be a close second to no other then Gomez if there was such a stat.

Hey, he'd be 2nd overall in something
I don't like Volchenkov, but your attack on corsi/stats is unfounded.

No human being can possibly watch a game and objectively account for the myriad contextual variables that affect the performance you see the on the ice. That's where stats come in. Something like zone starts is probably oft overlooked by people who simply trust their eyes, however it has a noted impact on goals for and goals against when players are on the ice.

Moreover, how about something like puck touches? If Zidlicky and Volchenkov are paired together, Zidlicky will control the puck 80% of the time in the defensive zone. As a result, Zidlicky is more likely to make a bad turnover and look worse defensively, simply because he controls the puck more. Does people who simply trust their eyes account for this?