View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I'll ride Dionne on these boards once in a while, but he beats Selanne in this poll for sure. Selanne has the Cup and a couple of nice playoff runs later in his career (which led to a Cup) but before that his playoff portfolio was very much like Dionne's.
That's true, but Selanne does have some decent playoffs post-lockout, and has been very good internationally as well. At worst, his playoffs are about equal to Dionne's, and at best his playoff/international record is significantly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Dionne just simply wins this because he didn't have any breaks in his career. Just the normal ones (first couple years and then last years of tailing off). But in between we are talking about a perennial 100+ point guy for 12-13 years. That is just insane and there has to be a time when you just can't ignore the offense a player brings. Selanne has the international career to make up for it a bit but that still leaves him clearly behind.

If Selanne doesn't have that gap in his career of about 4 years (2000-'04) then we may have a different ballgame. But he did have that gap and Dionne was a player who just kept scoring year after year. He competed with Lafleur, Trottier, Bossy and for a year and a bit, Gretzky. He outpointed guys like Perreault, Clarke and Sittler by large degrees. Eventually you just have to say enough is enough.
I think you're overstating Dionne's consistency/productivity a bit. He scored 100+ in 8/11 seasons in his prime, although 90+ in 12/12 seasons. Selanne scored over PPG in each of his first 8 seasons, and 3 more post-lockout. I just don't see much difference in their productivity, except that Dionne played in higher scoring eras and did not have the interruption due to injury which Selanne did, while Selanne was the better goal scorer.

I'm not sure exactly how you're defining it, but do you think Dionne outpointing Perreault, Clarke and Sittler is more impressive than the players Selanne outpointed (whether in single seasons or over a stretch of multiple seasons)? His first 8 seasons in the league, he outpointed everyone but Jagr, including Sakic, Oates, Yzerman, Lindros, Fedorov, etc.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote