View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
To continue from my earlier point (in this post) in that Palffy never showed any leadership, passion, winning mentality at all. He showed little emotion and seemed content to put up points and continue losing. I understand there's no way to prove this and being on such a lousy team didn't make it easy for him, but I find it odd that such a great scorer (playing at time when there was player movement) was never added to a contending team for a late season push, the final piece for a winning team.

I hate arguing against Palffy because I happen to think he was a very good hockey player, underrated and underappreciated in his time. He was deceptively good defensively, at least with his positioning and somewhat responsible in back-checking (surprisingly) and had so little offensive support, was a great passer (better vision than Mogilny) and could create offense with an "ease" about it.

But Mogilny, at his peak, was explosive, could play with more emotion and fire and was deadly in the offensive zone (or neutral zone with speed) with a rocket shot that could beat any goalie from the top of the circles. That's where the difference lies.

Neither would be my first choice to win a playoff series but if I had to add one piece to a playoff team, I'd choose Mogilny.

well put.
Yeah that's true. I guess there are two schools of thought here. First, no one like the Red Wings or Avs or Flyers or Devils picked up a guy like Palffy hoping he would be the spark in a late season run for the Cup. Mogilny, on the other hand WAS picked up by New Jersey and won a Cup and reached another final. That has to hurt Palffy there. But..........the way Mad Mike Milbury would trade players like they were stocks it is odd that he took so long to get rid of Palffy. There was a time when Palffy held out and he could have demanded a trade but he didn't. I don't know, who in their right mind wanted to stay on the Island in those years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Did you check to see if this was also true about Palffy?
The only season where he missed time with the Islanders was 1998-'99.

With Palffy: 12-29-9
Without Palffy: 12-19-1

I realize there are contributing factors with things like this, but I never thought then, or now, that Palffy was a player you could and would win with which is why I put him more with a guy like Marc Savard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think 1992-93 Mogilny was better than anything Palffy did, but how often did Almo come close to that level again?

I think the correct answer here is that Mogilny was better at his best, but Palffy was at his best more often.

It's easy to forget just how little help Palffy had most of the time. Check out the 2002-03 LA Kings:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/LAK/2003.html
Well yes, no argument there that Palffy was the more consistent threat overall. I don't think that was the original question though. What we have to determine was whether or not this consistency was good enough to make up for a player who was elite when he was "on". I don't think it does because Mogilny's highs were pretty darn good.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote