View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
This system MUST be broken as far as Russia is concerned
True, but what can Russia do? What can Russia do to prevent these kids from leaving too early?

This topic has been on the board for 15 years already. Even in the late 90's there was much talk about the CHL ruining Russian prospects.

There was a brief period in the early 2000's when the most of the best Russians chose to stay in Russia instead of going overseas. Players such as Malkin, Ovechkin and Semin were produced from these age groups.

But in the late 2000's and early 2010's the top prospects once again started to move to the CHL. I don't really know what happened and caused this change.

Anyway, this is Russia's problem and I don't want to blame the CHL for this. Of course the CHL teams want these players for their own league because it makes their product better. They don't care how these players developed (nor they should). They only care about their product on the ice.

It is Russia's job to prevent these kids from leaving and figure out ways to do it. For some reason these kids think it is better for them to leave early than stay in Russia. Russian hockey folks must find ways to be more convincing than foreign scouts and agents.

One possibility is to make these players to stay by force. Make them sign 5-6 year contracts with their junior teams when they are 13 or 14. If they refuse they are banned from playing competetive hockey anywhere in Russia. Not nice? True, but Russia needs to take care of its own interests for once. Those junior players who refuse to sign a long contract are free to leave to play in Canada as a 13-14 year olds. But those who sign are binded by the contract to stay in Russia until they turn 19-20.

And by the way, I love Nichushkin as a prospects and I really hope he pans out. Not only because I like him as a player, but because it would be another example of a great Russian player emerging who is raised and developed in Russia.

And while I hope players like Grigorenko and Yakupov also succeed, I fear they won't reach their full potential.

Last edited by Peter25: 12-28-2012 at 04:14 PM.