View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I can see Bowman for a variety of reasons. Steve Shutt said you hated him for 364 days a year and on the 365th day you collected your Cup ring. Guy Lafleur has confirmed in interviews that all the players would agree they hated Bowman. Scotty himself has said he wasn't the type to hold a players' hand and coddle them. Yzerman seemed to have very much a hate-hate relationship with Bowman early on, I guess until they started winning. Phil Esposito in his book claims that lashed out at Bowman in the 1976 Canada Cup after they both walked into the arena for practice because Bowman wasn't playing him much against the Russians. Esposito said something along the lines of "Don't try and pretend to be nice to me." Yeah, the man was hated but it was a good way to be hated. If he was Mr. Nice Guy he doesn't have 9 Cup rings.

Got to agree on Keenan. We all know the stories of the 1987 Canada Cup. When you irk Gretzky and Messier you know you're hated.

I get the feeling a guy like Herb Brooks could be on this list, most notably the way he acted with the 1980 US team, at least from reports.

As for coaches who were hated by the OTHER teams, would anyone else but Fred Shero be #1 here?
I know that Jacques Lemaire, Yvan Cournoyer, and Mario Tremblay absolutely despised Bowman from the Dynasty Habs years. There was a lot of noise made about how Lemaire wanted to stick it to Bowman when the Devils beat the Red Wings in the finals.

Apparently Mario Lemieux in Pittsburgh and Sergei Fedorov in Detroit couldn't stand Bowman either.

You can't argue Bowman's results though: The man won championships.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote