View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

vCash: 500
Not much going on so thought I'd post this for those who don't know his story.

New throwing technique pays dividends for Delabar

(link)

Quote:
Steve Delabar's remarkable journey to the Major Leagues is more reminiscent of a Hollywood script than a real-life story.

It was just over three years ago that Delabar's career was left for dead when he suffered a fractured right elbow while pitching for the Brockton Rox of the independant Can-Am League. The injury was so severe that Delabar required a metal plate and nine screws to help it heal.

The future looked bleak and Delabar abandoned all hope of one day reaching the big leagues, but all of that changed when Delabar began working out at an academy called Players' Dugout in Elizabethtown, Ky., and was introduced to a workout program that would end up changing his life forever.

"As far as my professional baseball career, it was basically over," Delabar recently said. "There wasn't much I could do at 26, 27 years old. 'Hey, guys, I've never been above high [Class] A. Do you want to give me a Major League job?' It doesn't work like that.

"I did the program because I was going to teach the program. With a broken elbow, I didn't know if I was going to play again. I just wanted to teach this program and help these kids at our academy, and sure enough, it helped me."

Shortly after suffering the devastating injury, Delabar returned home and spent some time as an assistant coach at a local high school.

There had been talk around town about the velocity program, and Delabar wanted to see it for himself. He began working out with his friend and former instructor Joe Newton with the goal of eventually passing along the knowledge of the program to his athletes.

The workout focused centreed on acceleration and deceleration of the arm. It used a variety of weighted balls to strengthen the arm and shoulder while subsequently increasing arm speed at the same time.

What happened next, though, was completely unexpected --
Follow the link at the top to read the whole story.