View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 08:41 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Anyone else wonder how in the world Detroit beat Montreal one game in that series? Islanders in 1977 I can see, but Detroit in 1978?
I still remember how I felt when I heard Detroit had won that game. I was in grade 3 and everyone hated Montreal because they were so good. I also remember the first game of that series where Cournoyer passed it behind his back to Houle for a goal on a 2 on 1. Amazing goal. That was my first year of watching hockey regularly. The memories are spotty but here are some others:

- Montreal routing Philly at the Forum 7-1. First time I really noticed Lafleur. He scored on a semi breakaway, blasting a shot from just outside the faceoff circle.
- Cheevers throwing the puck into the crowd in Vancouver getting a delay of game penalty. One of the few late night editions of HNIC in those days.
- Lanny McDonald scoring in OT to beat the Isles, throwing his gloves in the air.
- And, coincidentally, the night the Rangers thumped the Habs at home 6-3 to end their unbeaten streak.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote