Thread: Value of: Sam Gagner and Ryan Whitney
View Single Post
Old
12-28-2012, 10:47 PM
victor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
You could argue the points you make for the middle group sure. But the Clear Cut group takes it no matter what you throw in as value pointers.

Gagner is like the Morrison to the Oilers, like the WCE days in Vancouver. He's a good soldier who will play his little heart out, but when everything is said and done he just isn't on the same level as his teammates when it comes to skill level.
His value comes to teams who need better scoring from their 2nd pivot spot like Chicago, but still have the depth to cover Gagner on the defensive side, making his job strictly scoring.
Is Gagner better than his likely linemates? Hemsky and Yakupov, I'd say not, although that's not to say he's not a 2nd liner.

Personally, I think that Gagner is under-rated on HF, simply because he's played on such a poor team for such a long time. Now, when Edmonton finally has players that are better than him, he's viewed as a less than optimal 2nd liner. Edmonton should play him for a year between Yakupov and Hemsky, with Eberle, Hall, and Hopkins playing against the leagues best, and see what they have before considering moving him.

Next year, we'll likely be talking about soft minutes and strong linemates when it comes to Gagner, which fits with your assertion about Morrison. Personally, I think he can be more than that, and can't see why a team would move him (or Morrison, for that matter) at 23.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote