View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
Yes, yes a thousand times yes. I have always said the same thing... especially after Witt signed with the Isles much later. Witt's first two years with the Isles under Nolan was exactly what the Jonsson/Aucoin/Hamrlik Isles were missing.

In fact, I would say that the current Isles could really use a Sillinger (another Nolan era player) type second line center right now.
I disagree, I think one of the biggest problems with the Nolan era Islanders is that they never really had a 2nd line center. It was mostly a 1st line and two 3rds. Sillinger is a perfect 3rd liner. As was Scatchard on the Lavy era Islanders. The difference between the one good Lavy year (01-02) vs all the other Islanders years in the past decade is the fact that we had two very solid lines up top. We had Yashin (for all his faults) and Peca in close to their prime centering really productive lines at various points. That's pretty darn good. When Peca got hurt, he was never ever the same. Don't get me wrong, Sillinger had a really good year that year (equivalent to Peca in 01-02), he would just be a better fit on a true third line.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote