View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 03:11 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I am not sure Dionne's stats improve if he is a Hab. He isn't a big fish in a small pond anymore. I will mention that Lafleur was very much in the same boat offensively as him and he never cracked more than 136 points in a season. Phil Esposito who was also very similar to him offensively cracked 152, 145, 133 and 130 as his best. Dionne had several 130 point years so that wasn't unusual to him. Esposito had Orr playing with him as well. I mean, how much better are we expecting Dionne to be, 170 points a year on the Habs? I think he is more or less the same offensively because he'd be sharing a little more glory and he'd have a much more demanding and erratic coach (Bowman). That doesn't scream higher point totals. I personally think his offense would have been the same but his team success different.
Yeah, I would agree that neither Lafleur or Dionne could have scored 150 on the Habs. Bowman was so defensively and checking inclined as a coach that Gainey and Jarvis got a lot of ice especially in close games in the 3rd period. Bowman let Lafleur do his thing and 136 may be the best he could have done. However, Lafleur rarely if ever killed penalties like we saw Gretzky and Lemieux do in their time and Dionne did in the 70's (he set a record at the time for 10 sh goals). I'm sure he could have been good for 8 or 12 sh points in any given season if he had the opportunity. But those were the sacrifices made playing for a championship team in those days. So he may have got into the 140's.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote