Thread: Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART V
View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 06:13 AM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Strome IMO needs to work on his battle level, he obviously has a good wrist shot and is a good skater but like many young skilled players they don't like to get their noses dirty.

You're not entirely wrong, but I think his biggest issue is his strength and slight frame. There were times in yesterdays game (and all of his games) where he does finish his checks and does battle for pucks (he actually caused a few turnovers along the board where he was battling yesterday) but his slight build doesn't allow him to be as effective as he could be, also doesn't scare anyone or make them brace for the hit. I would have no problem going in the corner and having to battle Ryan Strome for a puck, wouldn't scare me at all, I would however think twice about going for a loose puck or carrying the puck up ice if say Brett Ritchie had a head a steam and was after me.

Speaking of Ritchie, it's clear he is a big reason why Strome is enjoying the level of success that he currently is in Juniors. I hope the Isles are smart enough to realize that putting a skilled winger with size next to Strome at the NHL level will be almost a necessity and something not to be taken lightly.