Thread: Panthers @ WJC
View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 07:23 AM
CoolburnIsGone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I wouldn't say Grimaldi was one of bets players with the puck solely on this game. He does possess good hands and wonderful skating combined with good hustle, but hopefully by now, people have realised the "if he were taller he'd have been a Top 5 pick" concept isn't applicable.
I disagree because I'm not just using this 1 game to say that. I've watched him in college and even the other US game and you can see the skillset is better than almost every other player out there. The deficiencies he has are typical of any young prospect that are easy to fix too. You can't teach his speed or puck dangling ability. If he was as tall as Yakupov for example, I truly believe he could've been a top 5 pick (Yakupov is just 5'10").
Quote:
I prefer Trocheck to Grimaldi. Nice offensive abilities himself, but just a more complete player with less flaws/obstacles to overcome. One of our more promising players in the system.
Thats your choice but I doubt Trocheck ever tops Grimaldi in terms of offense. Trocheck is a more rounded player, sure but not as dynamic offensively. Also Trocheck still has an obstacle to overcome and thats his size too. And he made some bad plays himself in that game that I was disappointed to see.
Quote:
I would personally prefer it if he came over in several years. The skating, the grit is there and i think he has some solid hands. I'd prefer if he developed his game fully in Russia then came over.
I think he may never come over to North America though. The more success he finds in the KHL, the less need there is to come over to the US to play. I hope I'm wrong but based on my gut I dont think we ever see him in a Panthers uniform.
Quote:
Russia isn't really soft. I'd disagree with that. Just less of a natural cycle team (Kosov, Nichuskin etc excelled at this however). Say what you want about the Russian team, it's an exciting team to watch. Fustrating at times, gifted at others.
We must've been watching 2 different games then. The Russians were softer than butter! I watched them barely get hit by an Americans several different times and get knocked off the puck in the offensive zone. Yes Kosov was one of the few Russians who could take a hit and played through it. Him and that Tkachyov seemed to play a more North American game than the rest of the Russians. I think the difference in this game was coaching and execution than any skills really.
Quote:
Yakupov has had a bad tournament, but he's an exceptional talent. The hands and skating were still evident today. Dynamic player. Awful decision making today. He was atrocious. However, he's playing very well in the KHL, and i find it difficult to envisage him not being an elite offensive player in the NHL. I'd be suprised if he didn't produce better peak numbers than Nash ; a player who to my eyes is exceptionally overated.
He may be an exceptional talent but talent doesnt always translate into production. He's also a player that has had concussions. His style of play seems to lend itself to being in potentially dangerous situations that can get him injured again (he laid out to block that shot yesterday where his head could've taken that puck to it). He can play well in the KHL but they dont play the exact same style as North America. Yes Yakupov played juniors here but lets wait to see him play in the pros before saying he'll be an elite offensive player. And yes I used Nash in terms of numbers because I feel they are both similarly overrated players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I really liked the play of Gostisbehere so far from what I've seen. Hopefully we can get him back in Florida at some point in the future, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to be in the Panthers org.
I hadnt followed him much since being drafted but took a look & his stats from his freshman yr were really good and he's having a solid sophomore campaign too at Union. I think we'd have to wait a long time to see him back with FL. The Flyers are in need of defensive prospects and he's a solid puck moving one. But if he ever becomes a free agent, I'm sure we would have a good chance at bringing him "home".

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote