View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Well like I said, Dionne really didn't stop scoring his whole career. Selanne did. I don't think Selanne had that offensive arsenal in his prime that Dionne did. Dionne was more of a threat with the puck on his stick than Selanne. He could score more or less as good as Selanne and was a better playmaker who elevated his teammates to greater heights than they should have been. Dionne could beat you in more ways than Selanne could. This isn't any disrespect to Selanne but a closer comparison for Selanne is Perreault. I am not sure what you mean by them being "close" with extended peak years. Selanne has 10 years in the top 20 in scoring. Dionne had 8 years in the top "10" in scoring. That's quite a difference to me.
Didn't you recently criticize Dionne for not ever winning a 7 game series? And now you are saying he elevated his teammates to a much higher level than Selanne did his?

You think he was about as good of a goal-scorer as Selanne? Selanne led in goals 3 times. Look at how he did vs. Canadian players:

'93: Selanne 76, Lemieux 69, Robitaille 63, Yzerman 58
'95: 10 above him
'96: 8 above him (9 if you count Hull)
'97: Selanne 51, Lemieux 50, Shanahan 47, Kariya 44
'98: Selanne 52, Nieuwendyk 39, Brind'Amour 36
'99: Selanne 47, Sakic 41, Lindros 40, Fleury 40, Kariya 39, Robitaille 39
'00: 5 above him (incl. Nolan)
'06: 4 above him (incl. Heatley)
'07: Lecavalier 52, Heatley 50, Selanne 48, St. Louis 43

Selanne's playmaking is underrated, although he clearly wasn't as good as Dionne in that area. His finishes vs. Canadians:

'96: 5 above him
'97: 8 above him
'99: Kariya 62, Selanne 60, Sakic 55
'00: Recchi, Oates, Sakic, Selanne
'11: 4 above him

Now as a point scorer, you don't think he's in Dionne's class, but rather more similar to Perreault? Really? So competition makes no difference, and Selanne was about as good of a point scorer as a player who in his three best seasons beat Pierre Larouche by 2 points ('76), tied Tim Young ('77), and finished 1 point ahead of Mike Rogers ('80)? You really think that's the same as losing Rosses to Lemieux and Jagr? Or even remotely close?

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote