View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Respectfully, a good defenseman (regardless of system) doesn't play the gutless, stick-checking, contact-allergy, totally disinterested style of play that Martin exhibited all of last season. I don't much care what he has done before that... the guy was and is supposed to be a leader (if not the leader) on the blueline. I shouldn't flip on the game and watch a completely green Simon Despres making the team's veteran defensive leader look like a nincompoop. On many different occasions.

The system doesn't help any but Martin consistently displayed all of the characteristics last season of a defenseman that this team should ideally want nothing to do with. But I think that the team's situation on defense dictates that we'll have to put up with him for at least a little longer.

Burning the team's one-time buyout is probably more than Martin deserves, honestly.
Martin was never a physical defenseman. He doesn't need to play very physically to be effective when he is being used correctly.

Do you think it's a matter of Despres being that good, and Martin being that bad? Sure at the time, that was the case. But overall? Where these two players are in their careers? Clearly, Martin wasn't without his own mental breakdowns but the coaching staff is also to blame when a rookie looked to have a better idea of what to do in his own end than a guy who was viewed as a top two-way defenseman in the NHL two years ago. Things don't add up here and the missing money is in the way the coaching staff coaches the defense in their own end.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote