View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I really don't get buying out Ron Hainsey. You are just throwing money away IMHO. You take the cash that it will cost to buy him out + whatever it takes to pay a replacement that will play at his level and you are behind the eight ball dollars wise.

I could understand if we were even flirting with the cap, or if he had a long contract, but to me this is more of an emotional move that makes no organizational sense.
Hainsey is a UFA after this yr, no reason to buy him out.

He does have some value, but if he's not willing to sign a 2 (or so) yr deal at around $3 to $3.5/yr, then i'd be shopping him at the trade deadline. A team desperate for a 2nd pairing dman might offer up enticing picks (maybe even a future 2014 2nd and 3rd pick like the Oduya trade).

It wouldn't matter too much if we're in a playoff hunt or not, tbh. I don't think Hainsey (like Oduya) makes us that better. Now with Bogo still out, the 2nd pairing likely is Stuart and Hainsey for a while, but i'm fine with Stuart/Bogo 2nd pairing if it means getting something for Hainsey - IF he's looking to leave anyway.

Edit: assuming Bogo is ready to play by the trade deadline.