View Single Post
12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I've seen Gonchar a ton as well thank you very much. The Pens are my #2 team. Watch them as much as I can because of Crosby.

Gonchar > Niskanen. There's no way around it. Even other impartial fans have chimed in and said so. Gonchar is a legit top 4 defenseman (at least as of 2011-12).

Gonchar is a good PKer. Not great, but you're certainly not thinking "I wish he wasn't out there''. Unlike Niskanen.

Of course Niskanen looked OK, he has sheltered minutes. I've said this many times. Gonchar played top 4 minutes the entire season against scoring lines.

You're highly exaggerating Gonchar's decline. Since his Pittsburgh days, he's lost a little speed, but mostly his offense is worse. He doesn't seem to get his shot off from the point very much, or it's much less dangerous.

In Pittsburgh, Gonchar was good defensively. He was a top pair d-man and played against top lines with Orpik. Right now, he's still acceptable defensively for a top 4. He's not a liability.

Gonchar >> Niskanen, no way around it. Gonchar actually contributes on special teams.

Pittsburgh has an abundance of good D prospects. Niskanen is therefore not part of the long term plan.
to name a few. Niskanen should be gone in a couple of years anyway.

Gonchar gives the Pens a better chance of winning because:
-he's better
-proven on ice and off ice chemistry with Malkin/the Pens

So they lose a younger player for one who is almost done... who cares, Niskanen shouldn't be there long term anyway.
I hate the trade board logic that says 'give away your guy as you have replacements with talent.' I would rather trade my guy for value than give him away. You do not make an idiotic trade because you drafted well in an area. And Gonchar just is not worth that much at this point. If that is the cost by all means keep him.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote