View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 02:18 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
Martin was never a physical defenseman. He doesn't need to play very physically to be effective when he is being used correctly.

Do you think it's a matter of Despres being that good, and Martin being that bad? Sure at the time, that was the case. But overall? Where these two players are in their careers? Clearly, Martin wasn't without his own mental breakdowns but the coaching staff is also to blame when a rookie looked to have a better idea of what to do in his own end than a guy who was viewed as a top two-way defenseman in the NHL two years ago. Things don't add up here and the missing money is in the way the coaching staff coaches the defense in their own end.
I guess I can't really disagree with much of that, at all. If I had to choose one thing to "fix" between the two, it would absolutely be the way this team approaches the defensive side of the game. Not simply dumping Martin who, as you said, can be an effective player if used correctly.

I just don't think Paul Martin, even at his best, is really what this team needs. But obviously Ray Shero disagrees. So we'll just have to see.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote