View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Yes, and apparently there was a verbal "promise" to Detroit to go east, if ever there was a realignment.

But, Columbus is further east than Detroit. (As is Nashville, for that matter.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
So Helen St James, member of the HHOF writers wing, is a bad source?

I do believe the (verbal) promise was made.

However, "times have changed" and that promise might be broken.
Both sides (Columbus and Detroit) have claimed that they were promised first priority at moving over. No one from Detroit has actually claimed that they personally were told this by the NHL; the powers-that-be all say that it was told to someone else. Doug MacLean was with Columbus at the time, and he has said that he was told by the NHL that the CBJ would have priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think I understand management's desire to lower travel costs, but why would CBJ fans be in favor of a move to the Eastern Conference, and SE Division? The Michigan/Ohio hate adds some spice right now, there's some rapport with the Nashville fans. Plus, the entire history has been with the western grouping.
Michigan/Ohio doesn't really add anything, to be honest. If the Red Wings had always been located in Indiana, the rivalry and loathing between the two sides would be the same as it is today.

None of us like Chicago, mostly because (locally, anyway) none of their fans existed before 2009. Since then, we've been swamped with bootlegs of Kane and Toews, worn by people who are "lifelong Hawks fans" who have never heard of Dirk Graham or Doug Wilson or Steve Larmer. I think there's a grudging respect for Nashville, and I can honestly see (with a CBJ move east) a lot of our fans adopting Nashville as their Western team of choice.

There's already plenty of acrimony between Columbus and the Eastern Conference. Pittsburgh goes without saying. There's actually a huge transplant population from western New York in Columbus, so there's a massive number of obnoxious Sabres fans. And then we can add in the fans of the eastern Canadian teams, who all think we shouldn't exist and remind us of that.