View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Chairman Wang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I disagree, I think one of the biggest problems with the Nolan era Islanders is that they never really had a 2nd line center. It was mostly a 1st line and two 3rds. Sillinger is a perfect 3rd liner. As was Scatchard on the Lavy era Islanders. The difference between the one good Lavy year (01-02) vs all the other Islanders years in the past decade is the fact that we had two very solid lines up top. We had Yashin (for all his faults) and Peca in close to their prime centering really productive lines at various points. That's pretty darn good. When Peca got hurt, he was never ever the same. Don't get me wrong, Sillinger had a really good year that year (equivalent to Peca in 01-02), he would just be a better fit on a true third line.
Mike Sillinger as a player was a good third line center for his career. True. But, for that particular year under Nolan he put up second line production... albeit for an 8th seed. Clearly Sillinger would not have been an adequate 2nd line center on a contender. My point on Sillinger is that he would be a great fit now. I would still expect Tavares to carry the team. I think a stop gap vet who can win face-offs an put up 25g and 55p would really help to settle a line with okposo and bailey. But again, I do not have any misconceptions that this would be anymore than a stopgap measure for a run at a lower playoff seed.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote