View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
I just might agree with this. Hasek got into your head even BEFORE the game. There is no way Buffalo is anything but a draft lottery team without him. That was the key before each game, how can we find a way to keep Hasek from beating us?

With all due respect for him, I never thought his 1998 Olympics against Canada was otherwordly. Canada was asleep the whole game until the third period and overtime. They were awful at generating chances that game. In the shootout we picked some poor names and with the exception of Fleury I don't think Hasek really made (had to?) a sharp save on one of them. Fleury tried to roof it and Hasek lifted his shoulder in time. Bourque took a weak low percentage shot. Nieuwendyk didn't even get it on net. Lindros had him beat but hit the post ans Shanahan came in there slow as molasses and made a weak move on his forehand. Maybe Hasek had already gotten into some of their heads who knows, but he didn't have to come up big. Thank Marc Crawford for those shootout picks too.

I think it really comes down to Roy and Hasek. Hasek was more of an enigma. He was a guy you couldn't figure out. He would be way out of position and then he would flop and make a save with his blocker without even knowing where the puck was. That frustrated you because it just like it was impossible to score.

Roy did instill confidence in his teammates, but there was also a reputation he had built of never allowing a weak goal in a big game. Honestly, to this day there are few times when you could blame Roy for a weak goal in an important game. So you knew that you had to really be on your game just to beat him.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote