View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 08:45 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I think Tavares was perfect because HE WAS READY. I think Nino was too young in age and in talent. Now...

If Nino or Strome was superior to our other options....this is the gist of my opinion:

Do you promote them and not develop them because Snow was asleep at te wheel or.....do you get other bodies and make DEVELOPING THEM TO THEIR POTENTIAL your priority?

Rick wasn't better than Osgood and Snow, but we traded Osgood so he became our second best goalie option. Wise? Hell no. He wasn't ready. So if Nino is promoted because we didn't have someone as good as Reasoner......bad move. And it showed.

I'd rather wait watching Pandolfo than risk Nino not becoming a big lugging ace first line winger. So no, rookies sit until they're the better option on the ice and they are ready.

Now do I make myself clearer? Age would relate to on and off ice maturity as well as chronology. 18 is riskier than 20 in development measure, but if someone is CLEARLY ready, like JT, you roll with him and hope for the best. Nino - not ready. Strome - not ready. Reinhart is closer to both IMHO.
I think you are underestimating just how difficult it is to bring in quality players. IMO, there is no way the Islanders are going to sign any UFA center to a multi-year contract when they expect a guy like Strome or Nelson to be ready sometime in 2013-14, or at the latest by the start of 2014-15. I could only see them offering up a one year deal, and no true top-six center is going to sign for just a one year deal, considering they will be getting multi-year offers from other teams(assuming we are thinking of the same kind of player).

That leaves the trade route, where I just don't see the Isles trading anything of significant value for a one year stop-gap. The only real possibilities who would MAYBE sign here on one year contracts are guys like Matt Cullen and Vinny Prospal, and even if they were willing to sign for one year I don't know if they'd really be better options.

As far as Nino goes, I don't see why he shouldn't get some sort of shot at a top-9 spot with the way he's played this year in Bridgeport. Even if you are completely against him getting a shot on the top line with Tavares, there still should be an opening for him on the 3rd line with Nielsen and Grabner if things play out the way I think they will. At this point I don't think Nino is undeserving of at least getting a shot there.

Who knows, maybe the Isles will take your approach. Time will tell, but at this point I fully expect both Strome and Nino to be Islanders next season. IMO the only way Strome won't be is if Nelson beats him out.