View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 08:47 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Yes, in one 48 hour period during the playoffs, there was a NBA game one evening, the Kings at noon and a NBA game at 7 and then I think the other NBA team played the next evening. Staples Center uses two setups, one for the Clippers and one for the Lakers and different floors, baskets etc. so a Clippers to a Lakers game isn't a quick turn around.

You misunderstood what I was saying. The Rock draw pretty well, I believe last year was their lowest average attendance since moving into the ACC and they drew a shade over 10,000. If the Marlies could get those sized crowds consistently, MLSE would kick the Rock out in a heartbeat. Why? More profit for them. The Rock I believe pay rent to the tune of $40,000 per game at the ACC, but receive the profits from concessions for their games (plus ticketsales). So with the Marlies at the ACC, MLSE would lose out on the rent, but would get all the profits from concessions which would even out the loss of rent. Plus, they wouldn't need to rent Ricoh from the CNE (or City of Toronto) for Marlies games.
Could it be done having the Marlies playing full time at the Air Canada Centre? Anything is possible and I think it's something they should look into. However the one thing against that is the 41 home games for the Maple Leafs and the Raptors. So they some how need to work around that.

I realize how things are done at the Staples Center and I think it's great they can have 1 NHL team and 2 NBA teams playing in the same arena, even having multiple sports being played on both days. It's something done in Philadelphia with the Flyers and Sixers. However let's remember the Air Canada Centre is different and they need to work out having an NHL, NBA and AHL team playing there full time. So just because other arenas can play Hockey and Basketball on the same day doesn't mean it will work everywhere else.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote