View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Lessy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
It's pretty funny. People see his 27 points and automatically assume that he is just destined to be this shutdown forward with only 50 point upside.

From a Grant Sonier ESPN article a couple months ago "The next wave of young talent: Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog lead most likely Top 25 Under 25 additions"

5. C Sean Couturier
Philadelphia Flyers (NHL), 20 years old
U-25 Ceiling: No. 5-10
Playing meaningful minutes in 2011-12 and accepting and understanding the defensive side of the game is only going to work in his favor. With size, skill and elite hockey sense, Couturier will eventually start producing numbers on par with the elite players in the league.

Yakupov was 6th.
You lost me at an ESPN article about hockey. Yakupov is easily the most underrated commodity on HF and it's really not close. I'm not sure if it's the fact that the Oilers picked him or because he's Russian or because he hasn't been overly dominant in any big tournaments but his club stats and draft status should really speak for themselves. The last time a forward taken first overall didn't turn out to be a superstar was the 90's. I'm going to say that the trend will continue until we see otherwise. Couturier is a nice player and I can see why the Flyers wouldn't do this deal. When hockey starts up again the Flyers will want to contend and Couturier is a better player on a contending team like the Flyers right now. Add in one of their top pairing defensemen and it's easy to see Flyers fans rejecting the deal; they don't need a guy like Yakupov at this stage.

But to suggest Couturier is a more valuable commodity? That's ludicrous. I see Couturier and I see Jordan Staal. That's a very good player and an elite second line C. Yakupov is the consensus best player from his draft class. Couturier didn't even go top 5 a year and a half ago and he's already the second coming? He had a nice series against Malkin but come on...

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote