View Single Post
Old
12-29-2012, 09:04 PM
MaxLacoste

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think that overall it's better for worst teams to get better players, statistically speaking.

The NHL could always impose corrections, such that a team that drafts top-3 one year cannot draft top-3 the next year, and thus if they are picked their balls are dropped back in the lottery pool.

Sometimes, good players are picked in the 2nd round.

PK Subban
Shea Weber
Milan Lucic

were all 2nd rounders.

3 2nd rounders in a deep draft... three high second rounders in all likelihood as both Calgary and Montreal are lottery candidates and Nashville will have a hard time. Don't trivialize it imo, we have a decent shot at acquiring a major piece to add to our 2015-2020 stanley cup contention window.
Exactly what I think. People forget that sometime players are forget in the 1st round and teams can land them at the beginning of the second round. Since we will probably have 2 picks in the first 10 picks of the second round (Calgary and MTL). Players like Mantha, Duclair, Gauthier, Domi and Sorensen could fall in the 2nd round because of the depth of this draft or needs of other team. Those players could fill perfectly our second line and maybe first line.

And their is a lot of intriguing players that are overlook for many reasons. Nic Petan is a good exemple. The guy is 5ft9, yes, but he is 2nd in WHL scoring, 17 pts above a certain Hunter Shinkaruk. This kid got heart and hockey sense, which are hard to teach. Mirco Muller is a excellent defenseman with size (6ft4, 185lbs) that would probably get more attention if he was not Swiss. Michael Downing is another D-Men with size I like. He can throw hits and play on the powerplay.

Let's never forget that a lot of players have great career in the NHL and are found in round beyond the first round. Hockey is a TEAM game. You cannot win with one or two great players. You need good players too. I'm not saying that we don't need another star in MTL, but with four picks in the top60, in a deep draft, we can fill a lot of holes in our line-up/prospect pool. And sometime, you get lucky and you find a Subban. Don't always happen, but it might.