View Single Post
12-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Big Phil
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Phil was basically saying that Selanne was more comparable offensively to Perreault than Dionne, which is absurd. Dionne and Selanne, along with Thornton, are probably the most underperforming superstars in the playoffs (at least since expansion), and neither was much for defense, so I understand that Perreault has the edge in those areas. Offensively, the minimal edge Dionne has in adjusted numbers is likely offset by it being in the 70s for first liners to score adjusted points (although that's balanced in part by it being more difficult in the 80s) and Selanne being a better goal scorer.

I don't understand how Perreault lost points by playing in a smaller rink. Do you mean how it affected the actual games or was there some issue with the scorekeeper?
I said as overall players you should do a comparison with Perreault and Selanne, not necessarily offensively, everything tied in one. Selanne compares better to the likes of Ratelle and Perreault rather than Dionne, I mean, there is just TOO much there for Dionne no matter how it gets spun, I don't know what else to say. The adjusted stats are just cop outs in my opinion. The stats, the comparison to his peers, the scoring finishes and the simple eye test should make this a clear advantage for Dionne. You know yourself that a modern day player is going to win 100% of the time when you use adjusted stats, let's face it, an older player in a higher scoring era loses every time so adjusted stats are moot points in my opinion.

Dionne was a more balanced threat out there on the ice. He was more dangerous than Selanne.

Hart voting:
Dionne - 2, 3, 3, 6, 8, 9
Selanne - 3, 5, 5, 6, 9

I'll give Teemu some credit, the guy had some damn good years, he really did. But Dionne just simply had MORE of those great years and he beats him in almost every category imaginable here.

Last edited by Big Phil: 12-30-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote