View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 12:33 AM
cam042686

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yikes indeed.

Firsov would have helped them, but with all of our talent I can't see us winning less than 6 games. For whatever reason I was never a guy who thought Sanderson would have made a pile of difference. We had toughness on that team already and enough muscle. I don't think his potentially erratic behaviour would have helped at all. Just my two cents.
Before 1972 Derek Sanderson had no reputation for "erratic behavior." He was simply the best defensive forward in the NHL - as well as being a very dangerous offensive player. He was an excellent skater and I think he would have been a more productive forward than Bobby Clarke was in the Summit.

As for Bobby Orr - he was only the best player I have ever seen. But in 1972 he would have run into the first team that could have ever skated with him. Would he have responded? Yes he would have. But he, like all the other Team Canada players, would have gone into that series out of shape and over confident. As great as Bobby Orr and Bobby Hull were, they would have been caught as off guard and been as out of shape as all the other Canadian players.

With them I don't see any difference in the series until they get to Moscow. The Soviets were a great hockey team and even with Orr, Hull, Sanderson, etc we were out of shape and overconfident. And heck - add those guys in we are even more overconfident and perhaps even less ready to play.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote