View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 12:34 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Fehr's job is to get the best deal for the players in this new CBA. By waiting, he's doing that.
His job is a lot bigger than that. He's the Executive Director of the PA. Negotiating the CBA is his top priority right now, but his greater responsibility is to protect the interests of the players in the bigger picture. Small budges on the fringes of the CBA are not worth the damage done to the players' earning potential. It's that simple. This process has cost them more than it has gained.

Quote:
Yes, it's costing them money now, but it's helping the players situation with regards to this new CBA.
Which players, the ones with 6-7 year contracts with huge year-to-year variance? That's, what, like 15 guys in the whole league?

Quote:
I don't understand how people can claim the players should just accept whatever new proposal the NHL throws at them simply because "they're losing money now".
Can't help you there, as that's not what I said.

My point is that Fehr doesn't get a gold star for extracting a few tiny drops of blood from the owners at the cost of a gallon from the PA. His strategy stopped making financial sense a long time ago, and it would take a HUGE win in this final round of talks for him to get the players back to neutral ground. Huge as in, a massive influx of cash to offset their reduced immediate and future earnings. If they cancel the season, forget it. No realistic agreement could offset that damage, in either the short or long term.

At this point there's a lot of face-saving going on. Both sides lost.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote