View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 12:37 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Lord have mercy, I don't even know where to start. Percy LeSeuer vs Vladimir Dzurilla vs Mike Liut... let the games begin.
I would be VERY interested if someone compared Percy Lesueur to Hap Holmes. Finishing 2nd to Georges Vezina in that "all-time all-star team" survey from 1925 is definitely a feather in LeSeuer's cap, even if the survey was criticized for having an Eastern bias.

I have no idea what to do with Dzurilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Quick and dirty:

Thomas higher peak, better playoff success

Giacomin significant advantage in longevity
I think Giacomin was more consistent in his peak - 5 straight years of all-star votes. But outside of those 5 years, he was a fairly unremarkable platoon goalie.

Thomas vs Giacomin is an awkward comparison for me.

Quote:
Question to all: When comparing modern goalies to older goalies, if a modern goalie has a poor international record (or no international record), do we hold it against them, considering in most cases (exception: Tretiak, Vachon, a few others) that the older goalie had no chance to compile one?
When I voted Worters a couple of spots over Esposito, my rational was that they had very similar regular season resumes, but being an unknown in the playoffs was better than having known playoff problems. I'd use a similar rational here - if a goalie really stunk in an international tournament, I think it's similar to really stinking in a single playoff series and I would hold it against him, but no more than I'd hold stinking in a single playoff series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Depends on how poor.

If we're talking about being just average, unremarkable, not outstanding... no, I'm inclined to blow that off. Short tournaments require a bit of luck, catching a goalie on a hot streak. Sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. Not a big deal.

But if the guy went out and stunk, cost his team medals, sunk an entire national program... yeah, I'm going to look at that as a minus. I mean, it's part of his résumé, right? Some guys don't get a chance to play in the Finals, but that doesn't let anyone off the hook for being terrible in the Finals.
Pretty much this. Mike Liut did himself no favors in the 1981 Canada Cup, that's for sure.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-30-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: been spelling LeSueur's name wrong this whole time
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote