View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Forgedias

vCash: 500
I think this USA team has some serious flaws. They have alot of speed between the forwards and backline, but they have lots of problems generating scoring chances. They can create some good zone times, but when they get into the oppossing zone, they don't do enough to create good scoring chances. We can blame this on chemistry or just bad line pairings, but I think some people have hit on what is wrong with the USA team.

The lack of creativity upfront is hurting the team. JT Miller, Gaudreau and Grimaldi are more of a checking line then a scoring line to me. Good speed, able to create some turn overs, but other then that, this line has problems good creating scoring chances.

Alex Galchenyuk should be centering his line. He is by far their best skilled player on this line, but Housley insists on using Galchenyuk as a winger and thereby reduces his time with the puck. As a centerman he can hold onto the puck longer, set up plays by either moving from the blueline or moving up to the middle or switching places with a winger. As a winger he is locked into his side of the boards and really wastes his potential as a playmaker. So in the USA game, we see Galchenyuk taking many shots instead of trying to distribute, because that really is all he can do.

Its quite disappointing to see how Galchenyuk is being used. People have noted on the game threads that Galchenyuk has disappeared for long stretches and yes he has, but as a winger, he is totally reliant on his centerman to make plays and at the moment, he isn't paired with a centerman that can be a playmaker. He needs to be switched back to his more natural position and help his team be better by playmaking for his line and on the PP. Even though Galchenyuk picked up an assist in the Canada game and has a 3 game point streak, the abysmal USA offense isn't going anywhere.

I seriously hope Phil Housley makes some serious line up chances, but the after game interview, he talked about taking bad penalties, so I don't know if he thinks the lack of creativity is a problem.