Thread: Speculation: Buyouts per team
View Single Post
Old
12-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Philly will have Coburn, Grossmann, Mezsaros, Schenn, Gervais under contract for that year. Really, they only need 1 more defenseman with the 7th being one of their AHL/NHL guys. Plus all their top 9 forwards are signed so the other forwards they'll need will be cheap players. They'll be fine, in a salary cap sense.

The only candidates they have to buyout are Pronger, Briere and Bryzgalov. All have advantages and disadvantages to buying them out.
They have $7.5M to sign 8 players. I am not saying that they can't do it and I do agree that they have most of their pieces in place, but we are talking about a team that seems to always want to be making the big splash. With less than $1M per open slot that is not happening.

Pronger will stay on LTIR so buying him out is probably not a great move either capwise or fiscally as his contract is probably insured.

Bryzgalov would make the most sense long term but the cost in real dollars will be massive. I think what they might try to do is to trade Briere if they really did want more cap space. He does have the NMC but might waive rather than accepting a buyout. His contract would be very attractive to a team with cap space.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote